Do you often feel low back pain? Do you practice any kind of physical activity? If not, find out why these pains will tend to get worse.
The spine, in functional terms, can be divided into three compartments: anterior, middle and posterior. The anterior is made up of the vertebral bodies and the intervertebral disc and has the function of absorbing shocks and supporting weight. The middle one is formed by the spinal canal and the pedicles and, finally, the posterior one has the functions of protecting the neural elements and is responsible for the flexion and extension movements, lateral flexion and rotation of the spine.

 

low back pain | sedentary lifestyle | holmes place

 

In an evaluation performed with disc pressure, it was concluded that of the different positions of the spine, the one where there is greater pressure on the discs, is sitting and some studies show that 57% of the population spend their useful time (awake) in sedentary positions, that is, sitting or reclining and that 39% in low intensity activity, or very undemanding tasks.

 

If to these two factors, we still add excess weight (obesity), we have the perfect recipe to create injuries, in the spine and in the musculature that protects it. One of these injuries is low back pain or low back pain.

 

What types of low back pain?
Low back pain can be acute, subacute or chronic, depending on its duration, depending on whether it is less than 6 weeks, between 6 to 12 weeks or more than 12 weeks, respectively characterized essentially by pain in the lumbar region (lower back).

 

What factors give rise to it?
Low back pain can result from several factors, from herniated discs, osteoporosis or even tumors, but only in 15% of cases it is possible to identify the real cause of pain, and the other 85% are considered nonspecific. This is due to the fact that it is a region full of webs and nervous tangles, which do not allow the precise identification of the place where the pain originates.

 

In these most common cases, in which the person does not have any identified pathology, but feels pain/discomfort in the lower back, there is prevention or recovery work that can be performed.

 

What exercises should you do?
If low back pain has already been identified, the first step is to rest until the pain disappears and after recovery it is essential to create a reinforcement of the core and postural muscles, while there is a re-education of everyday posture.

 

Lower back pain | Sedentary lifestyle | Holmes Place

 

With the Personal Trainer that accompanies you, you must create a training plan that includes the muscle strengthening of certain muscles, such as transversus and rectus abdominis, obliques, quadratus lumbar and glutes and stretching the muscles of the posterior chain. When performing exercises that require external loads, it is extremely important to pay attention to the alignment of the spine and the load used, as this can also cause low back pain.

 

Carrying out this type of training before the problem exists is always better than working to solve it. At the same time, in everyday life, a less sedentary lifestyle and less long periods in the same position should be adopted. For this, it is suggested that every hour of work you get up for 10 minutes to do stretching.

 

Gonçalo Santos

Personal Trainer Holmes Place Avenida da Liberdade

 

Bibliographic references:

Nachemson, A.L. Disc pressure measurements. Spine, 6:93-7, 1981.

Tulder, M.W.V., Koes, B.W., Bouter, L.M. Conservative treatment of acute and chronic nonspecific low back pain. A systematic review of randomized controlled clinical trials of the most common interventions. Spine, 22:2128-56, 1997.

Genevieve N. Healy, Bronwyn K. Clark, Elisabeth AH Winkler, Paul A. Gardiner, Wendy J. Brown, Charles E. Matthews, Measurement of Adults’ Sedentary Time in Population-Based Studies, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, Volume 41, Issue 2, 2011, Pages 216-227,

NEWSLETTER LIFESTYLE

24h LIVE STATS

  • 2,582,533
  • 20,986
  • July 20, 2021

IDIOMA | LANGUAGE

EnglishFrenchItalianPortugueseSpanish

Advertisement

error: Content is protected !!